- Au Pair in the USA for a year and earn over 10,000 USD!
- Flights, accommodation, meals and medical insurance are included
- Gain relevant childcare experience and become part of a welcoming family
- Take advantage of a study budget and 2 weeks paid holiday!
- Meet other Au Pairs at local cluster meetings
If you want to combine paid childcare with travel this amazing opportunity is perfect for you! Realise your ambitions and become an Au Pair for a host family in the USA, putting your childcare experience to good use, getting to grips with a new destination and earning 10,000 USD! There are plenty of perks involved with this programme – free flights, accommodation, meals and medical insurance, time off to explore, a study budget and so much more!
Want to find out more?
Download more trip information and detailed itinerary
Why you should Au Pair in the USA!
There are plenty of perks involved in Au Pairing the USA! This programme will give you some brilliant benefits, and we’ve designed this opportunity to ensure that it enhances your childcare experience, ensures you get the very best out of life in the USA and have a ready-made network of fellow Au Pairs to chat to and socialise with.
- Earn 10,000 USD per year!
- Accommodation and meals are included
- Free flights to the USA
- Medical insurance included
- Access to a car
Learning and Development:
- Gain relevant, firsthand and comprehensive childcare experience
- You’ll be given 500 USD to study in a subject of your choice
- A day of paediatric first aid training
Life in the USA:
- Monthly meet ups with your fellow local au pairs and your supportive co-ordinator
- 1.5 days off per week, a full weekend off each month and 2 weeks paid holiday
- Live like a local as part of a welcoming host family
- A month of time off to travel at the end of your placement!
The Application Process
Our application process is straightforward and stress-free. Once you’ve checked you meet our eligibility requirements and booked with your £99 deposit there are only a few steps between getting the process started and jetting off to begin your USA Au Pair programme placement!
- Have an in-person interview with our friendly, dedicated Au Pair co-ordinator
- We’ll contact your references and review the paperwork you’ve provided
- Begin your DBS police record check process
- Complete an online profile and wait for a match
- Participate in a Skype interview with a potential family, and if you choose to accept their offer we’ll get your flights and visa sorted!
Download the trip notes for more information!
- Return flights to New York
- 12 month placement with a host family
- Over USD10,000 wages per year
- Access to a car
- 2 weeks paid holiday
- Regular social meeting with fellow Au Pairs
- 500 USD to study in your chosen subjects
- 1.5 days off each week
- 1 full weekend off per month
- SEVIS visa fee
- USA Au Pair America Handbook and Childcare Guide
- Full support during the application and matching process
- Option of 30 days independent travel at the end of your Au Pair placement
- 24 hour emergency support
- Enhanced DBS Check – though we can arrange this for you
- Personal Expenses
- Airport transfer on arrival
- Medical report from doctor (approx £30)
- US J1 Visa Fee (approx £120)
- Dinners and spending money during your New York orientation
- Travel expenses to the Real Gap Experience office for interview
- Travel costs to US Embassy in London
- Any additional costs needed to cover your study course (usually no more than USD200, dependent on the course you choose)
- Return flight if you leave your placement early
Your USA Au Pair programme will be spent with your host family, carrying out your Au Pair duties. During this time accommodation will be included as you’ll have your own room in the home of your host family. Meals will also be included during your time with your host family.
If you love childcare and fit our eligibility criteria this could be the perfect opportunity for you! We’ve listed our key eligibility requirements below:
- Aged 18-26
- Hold a valid driving licence
- Be a British passport holder and UK Citizen
- Have relevant childcare experience and must be able to provide two reference: 200 hours for female applicants and 500 hours for male applicants
- Able to provide 2 references for childcare experience
- Able to commit to a minimum of 12 months au-pairing in the USA
- Must be mentally and physically capable of handling all responsibilities of the programme for the entire duration
- Have not undertaken a USA au-pair programme within the last 2 years
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent
Please note that your childcare experience must not be family related (for example, having babysat for relatives will not qualify as relevant experience). The more varied your experience the better. Examples of relevant childcare experience include teaching, working in nurseries, youth work, professional babysitting for non-relatives, and many other roles.
Can I Choose Where I Am Placed?
Most placements are on the East Coast, and you’re free to express your preferences in terms of where you are placed, however we’re sure you’ll agree that the most important aspect of your placement is the family you’ll be Au Pairing for. We place great emphasis on matching Au Pairs with compatible families, and location is secondary to this.
How Much Spending Money Should I Bring?
You’ll be earning upwards of 10,000 USD during your placement as an Au Pair, so you’ll be earning money during your time in the USA.
Will I Get My Own Room?
Yes, you’ll have your own room in the house of the family you’ll be Au-Pairing for, and the cost of your accommodation is included.
Can I Stay For Longer Than 12 Months?
Absolutely! 12 months is the minimum length of time you can stay so you’ll have to commit to this length of time, and if you’d like to stay longer there are extensions of 6, 9 and 12 months.
When Will I Have To Pay The Remainder Of My Fee?
The great thing about this programme is that you won’t have to pay the remainder of your fee until you’ve been matched with a host family. Paying your £99 deposit will get the process underway, allowing us to get started with your interviews and a review of your paperwork. Once you’ve been matched, you’ll pay the programme fee in full.
Which Start Date Should I Choose?
Your start date will vary depending on when you have accepted an offer from a host family. We suggest that you indicate a start date preference, but please bear in mind that it may be subject to change depending on when you opt to begin your Au Pair programme.
When Should I Book?
We suggest that you book as soon as you’re sure that you can commit to 12 months of Au Pair work in the USA and that you meet our eligibility criteria. You should give yourself plenty of time, and all you need to get the process started is that £99 deposit, so book early!
Due to Covid-19, many of our partners and suppliers across the globe are putting in place new procedures and policies regarding health and safety in response to the outbreak. These new measures will adapt and change as the state of travel evolves, and the policies and procedures will vary depending on each trip. Some changes that you may experience on our trips are:
Updated safety & hygiene procedures
Health and safety measures will be adapted by our partners and suppliers, dependent on local laws and restrictions.
Different transport & accommodation
You may find yourself on transport or in accommodation that would not typically be used, such as hostels that are more secluded, or on more private transport. This may vary by trip, or even by individual departure dates.
Most trips include a meeting on arrival with the guide or local team to discuss the trip, and this is an opportunity for you to ask any questions. You should arrive in time to attend these briefings.
Emergency support 24/7
We have a UK based 24/7 emergency phone line if you have a genuine urgent matter that you need attending.
Knowledgeable & Trained Staff
We can help answer any questions or concerns you may have before you depart. Whilst travelling the guide or local team on our trips are there to help, and to ensure the smooth running of our trips.
Should you require medical assistance whilst travelling, the local team or guide will be able to help you get to a point of care. Medical facilities and standards can vary across the glove, so you should ensure you have adequate travel insurance in place.
Varying group sizes
To begin with, many trips will run with amended group sizes, so you may find smaller groups than would be typical. This may vary by trip, or even by individual departure dates.
Whilst there may be changes on our trips, it is vital that you make travelling safer for yourself, your travel companions, the local staff and guides, and the people of the country you are visiting. You should follow all local laws and restrictions, and follow the guidance of the local team. In addition, you can help make travel safer by bringing and using your own face coverings/masks and hand sanitiser, social distance where appropriate, wash your hands frequently, and cover your face when coughing or sneezing.